I feel like it should only be September, but no, here we are days away from another new year.
Another new beginning. I want to look back on 2011 and remember all that has happened. This is the time of year we tend to reflect on things we did right and things we want to change, things we want to remember and even those things we want to do different next year.
2011 was a year of The Blog, love, change, new friends, learning and traveling. Back in January, I decided I missed writing and that I needed a change; thus this blog was born. So much happened for me this year because of this blog.
In May, I attended Bloggers in Sin City, even though I had only started blogging a couple of weeks before. I met 50+ wonderful people, so many of whom have inspired and touched my life in more ways than I ever dreamed possible. When I signed up, I had no idea just how much of an impact that one weekend would have on me. It wasn’t just a weekend getaway, it was a weekend that literally changed how the rest of the year would play out. Had I not gone to BiSC in May, I would not have attended the 20SB Summit in August; I would not have had a friend come stay with me for the weekend; I would not have seen these girls over Labor Day weekend; I would not have gone to Philly & Richmond to visit Tara and Terra, and lastly, I would not have BiSC to look forward to each year. On a personal level, BiSC taught me that blogging is more than a hobby and that bloggers are some of the most down to earth, genuine people around. One person in particular has really left a footprint on my heart. She reminded me that friends are supposed to make you laugh, feel good about yourself, happy and feel alive. Without BiSC I would not have met Terra, who is practically my twin, one of my best friends, and now my bridesmaid! That’s a lot of impact on a year all because of one weekend. Every decision we make has a domino effect on what is to come and opens new doors. I thank goodness everyday that BiSC is one door that I opened.
More of what 2011 was (in no particular order):
- While Mr. Fiancé and I moved in together in November ’10, it wasn’t until January ’11 that we had our own place together. I can’t believe it has already been over a year.
- Mr. Fiancé and I got engaged! We have made signifcant progress in the wedding planning process and I can’t wait to marry my best friend in 2012!
- Mr. Fiancé’s brother graduated college in May. The first time I ever met him, he was graduating high school and now he is a college graduate. Its been great to watch him grow up. Gosh, time sure has flown by.
- I joined Twitter and Pinterest in the early months of 2011. I was a Twitter doubter at first but I actually use it more than Facebook now. And Pinterest- I LOVE that site! I get great ideas for ideas for the wedding, house decorations, recipes and DIY ideas that I wish I could take credit for.
- Mr. Fiancé and I gave up meat for a whole month.
- My sorority daughter lived with us for almost 2 months.
- Mr. Fiancé and I went on a cruise with his family.
- My dad turned 60 and my mom had hip surgery.
- After four solid years as a media buyer, I took the jump from TV & Radio to digital search media at my new job, in September.
- My sister met AND got engaged to her future husband.
- Mr Fiancé and I took each other on very unique dates: a pairing food & wine class, a shootin’ & drinkin‘ date where we shot pistols & AK47’s, and he took me on a surprise weekend getaway.
- We traveled to: Florida, Houston (twice), Lake Geneva, Indiana, Caribbean/Mexican Cruise, Memphis, Nashville, Philadelphia, D.C., (Richmond) Virginia and Vegas.
Most popular posts (of 2011):
- I Believe In a Thing Called Love
- #Biscuits Do Vegas
- I’m Engaged to the Man of My Dreams!
- The Mystery Date that turned out to be a surprise weekend getaway
- Snow days and Thundersnows – Blizzard ’11
- Life After College By Jenny Blake (My 1st Giveaway!)
- 365 Days
Some of My Favorite Posts of 2011:
- I Believe In a Thing Called Love
- Happy Birthday to the best man on earth, My Dad
- 365 Days
- On A Different Sort of Soul Mate (Guest Post from Terra)
- Hey, Will You Facebook Me?
- Is (news) Ignorance Bliss?
- 9/11: A Decade Later
- Steve Jobs – founder of Apple passed away.
- Apple released the iPhone 4s with Siri- a voice activated artificial intelligent personal assistant.
- The Royal Wedding- Prince William married Kate Middleton on April 29.
- Amanda Knox was found not guilty after being held in an Italian jail for 4 years accused of murdering her study abroad roommate.
- The trail of Casey Anthony gripped the nation and people were outraged to find she was acquitted of murdering her 2-year-old daughter Caylee.
- After dosing Michael Jackson with Propfol, his doctor Conrad Murray, was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
- Former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich was accused of trying to sell President Obama’s vacant Senate seat. He was found guilty of 17 charges of corruption (including wire fraud, attempted extortion, and conspiracy to solicit bribes), and was sentenced to 14 years in prison.
- Cake pops and cupcakes are the hottest craze.
- Popular games are Angry Birds & Words with Friends on iPads and mobile phones.
- 2011 marked the 10 year anniversary of 9/11.
- Occupy Wall Street protesters fill the streets of cities “we are the 99%.” People used to look up to others who worked hard, now people are envious of what others have.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger secretly fathered a son, 14 years old, with his longtime housekeeper and divorced.
- More than 15,800 people died and entire communities were washed away in Japan when a 9.0 magnitude earthquake followed by a tsunami destroyed coastal towns on March 11. Survivors were told to evacuate due to the nuclear power plant cooling systems that had failed.
- President Obama pulled the soldiers out of Iraq and declared the 1o year war over.
- New York legalized same-sex marriage.
- Longtime daytime soaps like All my Children and One Life To Live were cancelled from TV.
- After 25 years in Chicago, Oprah picked up and moved California and to start the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) on cable and shut the doors on her famed and loved daytime talk show.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt 2 was released completing 10 years of movies – earning $381,390,219 according to People Magazine.
- According to iTunes the most popular songs: Rolling in the Deep(Adele), Grenade (Bruno Mars), Firework (Katy Perry), Forget You (Cee Lo Green), Moves like Jagger (Maroon 5 & Christina Aguilera).
This year has flown by, and I cannot believe 2012 is creeping around the corner. 2011 has had its ups and downs, celebrations and struggles. I have come to find more about who I am, who I want to surround myself with and who I want to be. Each day, I have fallen more in love with my best friend. I have an exciting year ahead and I cannot wait to marry my best friend. Technology continues to advance and everyone is completely dependent on it. People’s patience continues to decline as everything is expected to be instantaneous and immediate.
To my readers: Thank you. I have more readers than I ever dreamed (which even ONE is more than I ever expected, honestly) who subscribe to this blog and am constantly amazed that people continue to read and support me. Thank you for your loyalty and for sticking around to watch this blog and myself grow.
May 2012 bring you all much health and happiness and be just as you want it to be. Here is to another year!
So much love,